torsdag 18 september 2014

Museum Assignment



This week we went to the Gotland Museum, after being given a tour we were asked to find an object that we wanted to model in the 3D-course and take reference photos of it.

I chose this chalice after discussing with my teacher, the reason I chose it was because I wanted to create something that would give me a challenge, while still being able to complete it. It was a bit difficult to choose as I felt that most things were either way too simple, for instance a couple of spoons that I found, or very complex. Of the items that I had found this one seemed to provide the biggest challenge and my teacher thought that it would be appropriate for the level of which I am at.

Front Modeling Photo





















Side Modeling Photo


 


















Texturing Photo





















The style I will choose for this piece is the “set in time period, stylized, realistic” (Skyrim). In regard to this I will try to make the shape as close to the original as possible, so that it looks like a realistic style object and not a cartoony one. As I want it to look contemporary I will make it look as if it is quite new, as I feel the original actually does. It should not be broken or rusted, but probably look a bit worn as if it has been made and used in the world in which it exists.

Since I am making it in a realistic style I think that the challenge may lie in making it stylized, instead of going for too realistic, or worse a bad attempt at something photorealistic.
I do not feel as if there are any great risks of negative stereotypes with the chalice, the biggest one may be having it end up looking like any other chalice. I think keeping true to the beautiful shape of it might make it different from others.

There is one positive stereotype that I can think of and that is that a glowing chalice usually is something that a player may want. Shining in gold it looks expensive and important so the player will see it and know that it is something they should probably try to get. The soft shape of the chalice, with a flower at the bottom will help the player understand that it is not something dangerous.

Considering how inexperienced I am with 3D there are a lot of risks when it comes to modelling. The cup part of the chalice will probably be one of the greater challenges as well as the bottom where it is divided into a flower shape.  I think that construction issues concerning them can be best avoided by planning before doing. Trying to figure out how to do it rather than just diving straight into it and start testing.

Again with my inexperience in mind, there are some risks regarding the program itself. It has happened that I have suddenly been unable to perform certain actions that I wanted and I have not understood how. There are also limitations to my knowledge of how to utilize the tools available or even which are available. Up to this point I have needed to ask a lot of questions and for assistance when modelling in class.

What I could do to minimize those risks is to study the program itself and take notes of problems and solutions so I do not repeat my mistakes and remember the solutions they have provided. I also think that just practicing and modelling will help me avoid making mistakes as I become more comfortable with the program.

The little symbol on the front part of the foot, as well as the texture on the "bump" might also pose as risks as I did not manage to get really good reference photos. If I feel it necessary when I get to texturing I might go back to the museum and try to get better ones.

Creating a proper edge flow plan and using it will probably also help a lot when it comes to minimize risks when modeling as it will help me plan what needs to be done and how to do it. It will minimize the risk of any part being forgotten and needed to be added later, which might disrupt the entire model or workflow. 

Here is what I managed to come up with for edge flow plans (front on top, side on bottom).


 

1 kommentar:

  1. It's a good choice of model and you'll find it a nice challenge to handle the textures as gold can be quite fiddly. As you said, it should still look valuable and attractive :)

    Your edgeflow planning is good and you're preparing yourself for the assignment well technically speaking, but I'm missing some of the history of the piece. What period is it? From where? Was it a drinking chalice, or ceremonial object from a church? Try to find a bit more, will go a long way to helping you figure out how the metal was worked for instance, were the engravings hand-made or cast metal?

    SvaraRadera