torsdag 20 februari 2014

Weekly Blog Post



For this week’s blog assignment I thought I would tell you about the idle animation I created.

We decided that we wanted to have an idle animation before the Alpha-presentation tomorrow as it would look better than having her moving all the time.  Before starting I thought it would probably be really easy compared to the animations I have previously created but I had a really hard time getting started. I found that it is easier to move arms and legs to make it look like someone is moving, than making the body look like it is moving while standing still.

I started with some fast doodling and trying to think of how the character would move. One thing I thought of was putting her hand on her hip but I felt that is probably something you would rather do when in a more comfortable situation and I did not want her to look like she is comfortable and relaxed as it conflicts with our aesthetic goals. Instead I tried to imagine her nervous, maybe leaning forwards and looking around; it felt like it could become irritating for the player though. I figured that from a player’s perspective it would probably be most appreciated if she did not move too much, especially since she is supposed to be able to stand idle when hiding behind things, if I were the player I would not be happy if an idle animation was the reason that the guards found me.

That led me to experiment with her standing still, swinging slightly from side to side – unfortunately, that looked more like jiggle physics than anything else, which is not really what we are looking for. 

Finally I decided that I would at least start with letting her just stand there and breathe. The biggest challenge with this was to make it look natural and avoid sexualizing the character; we are looking for something other than cleavage and jiggle physics for “Terminal”. With this in mind I carefully moved her shoulders back and her chest slightly forwards, simulating taking a breath. I wanted the animation to be fluid and therefore wanted several frames; this was an additional challenge since I wanted to be very careful with the amount of movement.

The finished animation consists of four frames, it does look fluid but it also looks as if she is breathing rather heavily. That actually works with our idea of incorporating stamina; the player will be able to hear her breath getting louder as her fatigue increases.

What I would do different is probably, again, reference photos – lots and lots of them, studying someone who is not doing anything from above and filming would probably also be a good idea. The perspective offers a lot of challenges as it is not how you usually look at the world and can therefore be hard to visualize.

1 kommentar:

  1. Hi! I remember that I was nagging about you not having an Idle state for your character, and I have waited for it to be done. So let me tell you one thing! That your result exceeded my expectations! I really didn’t think that you would make her breathe while not moving that thought never crossed my mind, now you have gone and raised the bar on this one.

    And yes you are right about not making it too complicated, I think that this is as far as you should go with it, making her jiggle or putting her hand on her hip would only be confusing. The thing with 2D characters seen from a top down perspective is that you can barely read much of the characters personality traits, keeping it simple will suffice, but despite of that you managed to illustrate her breathing and bringing her to life.
    You could make her rest on her knees or against the wall. Yeah I know “resting against the wall” is a bit far-fetched, so don’t go and try that one right now, you will be experiencing a lot of bugs before the programmers can get that done. (You will need to lean against four different walls)

    If this would have been a 3D character you could have done so much more, so many angles to work from. If you look at the intro to the game “Last of Us”: when you first play as the daughter you can clearly see her mood swings throughout different events when walking around at their house, beautifully presented to us. The thing is that the animation for you character can be done, but the question is: is it worth wasting that much time? Is it not better to prioritize other artifacts?

    Anyhow! Don’t get to wind up by this, I think you are doing a great job!
    I think you can teach me a thing or two!

    Keep it up!

    SvaraRadera