onsdag 15 oktober 2014

Anatomy



As we are starting to model characters in the 3D course this week, we have been going into anatomy for modelling. To see where we are at we were asked to bring 2D drawings of characters, human and animals, and to give each other feedback on where we need to improve.

I think that 2D is definitely my strong point compared to 3D since I have been doing it for so long, but there are definitely areas in which I need to improve, both in anatomy and other areas.


Start screen of Terminal
















Considering anatomy I think that I need to work on getting my proportions right, I tend to draw very tall and slender characters that often have very long legs. I have also noticed that I generally draw the shoulder area a little too narrow. Other than that I should keep practicing on drawing hands and feet and to get the anatomy correct without using reference images.

Examples of super long legs and slim shoulders.





















Something that has been an issue for me lately is that whenever I draw women, I get asked if it is a man and when I drew a man I was asked if it was a woman. I think it is in particular for the strong jawlines and facial features that I have been giving my female characters and that I am only used to drawing females. I do not think that it needs to be an issue though, it is a result of what I like at the moment and I am confident that I could do differently if asked to.

I wanted this woman to be a hardened soldier who has seen many battles, hence the strong facial features.





















My teacher pointed out something that I have been thinking about lately, that I tend to draw what I know. I am aware that I almost always draw women, or as she put it – white women that look like you. I have been trying to start drawing things that I have not attempted before and that I do not usually draw. I have started to try to step out of my comfort zone by drawing armour, dragons, animals and men.

This was the main reason for why I chose the character that I did for the concept for the character modelling that we are about to start. I thought that I should do something that I normally would not and went for a boy child. There was another drawing that I started, of a woman in armour, but I felt some diversity was needed so I changed into a young man instead. I do realise that I then gave them both pale skin, blonde hair and blue eyes.

Concept of a boy for the 3D1 character assignment.





















I have the opportunity to practice this since I have been asked for drawings with different ethnicities. I should do studies of people of different ethnicities and ages since it will allow me to create a much greater range of characters.

As far as the proportions I am aware of my characters having very long legs and thin shoulders and I think that I just need to practice practice practice to get over it. I also think that it is very important with constructive feedback as I am easily blinded when working on a drawing, so that it is very hard to see it until someone else points it out because I am so used to it.

Muscles and hands study from a Life Drawing handin.





















Rereading course literature for the 2D1 and Life Drawing courses is probably also a good idea to improve my work. I could also go through old course material for them to refresh my memory as well as attending life drawing classes. It is hard to remember all elements that you study at once, every time I go back and study them again, something new sticks that I can use.


Artemis, 2D1 character assignment.





















The main thing to do is just putting the pen on paper and draw until my fingers bleed and study how other people look, move and act.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar