torsdag 13 mars 2014

Ms X 2.0



This week I have completed my drawing of Ms X that I posted here a short while ago and I thought I would show you a little more about how I worked.

I had an idea of the pose I wanted, so the first thing I did was searching Google for references of women looking over their shoulder. I found one that had an angle I liked and to save me some time I moved her body and arms to get the pose I wanted. I then used that for reference of proportions and positions in a rough construction sketch and added her hips and legs. This first sketch went really fast to draw so that I could see if it would work before putting too much time into it.













When the first sketch was done I started cleaning it up, taking it to solid line art, first only her body and when I was happy with that I added the clothes and hair on top.

 


I used a small hard brush with shape dynamics and fast strokes to get as clean lines as possible – keeping one hand on the ctrl+z buttons. Again, I looked at Ms Marvel and decided to keep the line art thin, with the edges thicker. The lines in her hair were particularly tricky, as hair normally is, and I had to rework it several times, looking at my references, before I was happy. I also used several reference photos of silk blouses and pencil skirts to create the creases of her clothes and for the face I looked at our Concept Art.

 





To get cohesiveness with the background upon which she is to be placed and to get the values and slightly monochromatic colours of the Ms Marvel comic I rendered her first in grey scale, using the same brushes and techniques that I used for the background.


 



















I started with colouring her grey and then add light and shadow and used the smudge tool to blend the colours before adding sharper details, especially in the clothes and hair – always using a hard brush. The hair was, again, a challenge as well as the face and I had to rework them several times.

To colour her I used a colour layer in Photoshop, the colours were inspired by our mood board for cohesiveness and I used only one colour for her blouse and hair, while her skirt was left very dark grey. I did not want her face to look flat though, so I added some pink, peach and reddish tones on her cheeks, chin, forehead and around her nose. 

 






















When I finally added her to the background I also placed her underneath a gradient from the sun so that she would look affected by the sunset outside the window and an inner shadow which I changed to colour dodge in a light colour from the center of the sun to create a rim light. 

























I am happy with what I have produced and I think I have made it look like the style I took inspiration from. If there was anything I would do differently it is probably the face; I think it could use some additional work to make it look more like the style I was going for although I think it works well the way it is now. If I was to redo it I would probably use sharper shadows and flatter areas of value, not blending the colours so much so that it would look more cartoony than realistic.

I has been really helpful working beside other people who can give instant feedback and notice things that are not apparent to me who was been staring at it for a while. When I was nearly done I showed it to one of our teacher's assistants to get some tips on how to best finish it and our Lead Designer, Oskar, has been a great source of feedback while working next to me.




1 kommentar:

  1. It's always nice to see a fellow artists workflow. One should never underestimate the power of references, it's how we learn! I like that you properly structured up her anatomy and pose before adding additional detail. A lot of work can go to waste if you make a mistake in the first sketch, it's happened to me before. The line art looks really good. I even think it looks so good that the value disrupts it a little bit. The material on the clothes feel very realistic while the black outlines is more marvel like. It looks good nonetheless.

    When mixing styles you need to be very careful and it needs t be executed perfectly. It's very possible to do but it is almost always more work. It's a really good title screen, I like it and it has a good mood to it. The title is the first impression of the game and this one is worthy of that. Instant feedback is one of the best things about working a group with others. Good luck on the game!

    //Valdemar Ribbing

    SvaraRadera